If your roof is approaching the end of its lifespan, make plans to replace it before it causes problems for your home. This is your opportunity to choose a new type of roof for your house. Read on to learn about the advantages and disadvantages of different roofing materials.
Asphalt Shingles are the Most Common of the Different Roofing Materials
Asphalt shingles are the most common roof material for homes. The asphalt shingle base is covered in granules that protect against water and sunlight.
- They are easy to install and can be installed over old shingles.
- They are relatively affordable.
- They can withstand fire for up to two hours.
- They have a relatively shorter lifespan of 15-30 years compared to different roofing materials.
- Shingles may come loose during storms.
Metal roofing panels are commonly made of steel, aluminum, or copper.
- They complement various architectural styles with a wide range of color and style options.
- Metal roofing is fireproof.
- Metal roofs can last up to 70 years.
- A metal roof adds value to the house.
- A metal roof costs more than asphalt shingles.
- A metal roof can be noisy in the rain.
Wooden shingles have been around for centuries and are still being used. They are usually made from softwoods like cedar.
- Wood’s natural look gives a home great curb appeal.
- Wood is lighter than some other different roofing materials.
- Wood roofing materials are relatively expensive.
- They require maintenance against rot and insect infestations.
- Wood is not fire-resistant.
Different Roofing Materials: Slate Tiles
Slate roofing has some appealing advantages, especially since the tiles are made from natural stone.
- Slate gives a home a unique, classy appearance.
- Slate roofs can last up to 150 years if installed properly.
- Slate roofing is ideal for fire-prone areas. Unlike other different roofing materials, slate tiles are completely fireproof.
- Due to their weight, you’ll need to determine if your house can support a slate roof or if you’ll need structural reinforcement.
- Homeowners need to find a qualified contractor that specializes in this type of roofing.
- Walking on slate tiles can cause them to crack. Finding a perfect match for replacement is both challenging and expensive.
By looking at the pros and cons of different roofing materials, you can make an educated decision on your new roof. Aside from appearance, also consider other factors like cost and durability.